Nitric oxide is a colorless, odorless gas. A decade ago, discoveries about nitric oxide led to the development of the erectile dysfunction drug Viagra and earned three scientists a Nobel Prize . There are plenty of other reasons to know about nitric oxide.
Nitric Oxide causes your blood vessels to relax and to widen, thereby opening up your arteries. This allows better blood flow to your heart and your other important organs. Aging requires attention to cardiovascular health and increasing your levels of nitric oxide is an easy way to improve blood pressure and heart health.
1. Breathe deeply through your nose. This activates nitric oxide which opens your arteries.
2. Exercise on a regular basis, meditate, and enjoy regular sex.
3. Try a sauna. Saunas do more than just help you relax. The forced constriction and dilation of blood vessels that occurs when you enter and leave the heat releases the chemical nitric oxide.
4. Cut foods high in saturated fats, such as butter, meat, and whole-milk dairy products.
5. Eat more chocolate! One study found that a substance in cocoa helps the body process nitric oxide.
”Unlocking the Secret Pleasures of Menopause” Christiane Northrup, M.D.
WebMD Feature by Kathleen Doheny and reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
Mehmet Oz, M.D., a frequent guest on the Oprah Winfrey Show.